The Birthplace of Biotech
Exploring Gateway of Pacific
Wednesday, December 07, 2022
12:00 - 1:00 pm PST
AIA San Francisco // Virtual Event
Gateway of Pacific for BioMed Realty created a new place for discovery and a new paradigm for the scientific research campus in South San Francisco's biotechnology cluster. Designed to meet the technical demands of life sciences programs and the standards for high-performance buildings, Flad Architects' plan for this 22-acre site envisions ten distinct buildings, connecting to a central green space and defining an emerging urban district.
As we approach the 10-year anniversary since the start of the planning and design process, Flad Principal Stevens Williams, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, and Construction Administrator Zandra Bucheli, Associate AIA, WELL AP, will lead a special presentation in collaboration with the AIASF Health + Science Committee. The Birthplace of Biotech: Exploring Gateway of Pacific will explore unique program requirements, performance strategies, and placemaking for research environments as they relate to the Gateway of Pacific project.
Join them for this virtual event as they discuss:
- A brief history of the biotechnology revolution, from its birth in the Bay Area to the current White House's biotech and manufacturing initiative
- Organizing principles, aesthetic goals, and infrastructure needs for these unique, highly specialized research facilities, with a special focus on research in high-rise buildings
- How the Bay Area's rising land values, research trends, and expectations for design quality have created an evolved and urbanized vision for the research campus
- Passive design strategies and active design technologies that can best benefit research building performance and the integrative process that shaped the Gateway campus
- Steps lab buildings can take to meet the challenge of a Zero Net Carbon future